January Update on Works
Following a competitive tendering process conducted through eTenders, the Office of Government Procurement’s (OGP) official website, the Office of Public Works has awarded the contract for the restoration of eight historic gates in the Phoenix Park, including certain repairs to areas of railings at each gate location, to Dunfox Ltd (t/a Bushy Park Ironworks).
The gates in question are:
- North Circular Road Gate
- Grangegorman Gate on Blackhorse Avenue
- Cabra Gate
- Ashtown Gate
- Castleknock Gate
- Chapelizod Gate
- Islandbridge Gate
- Knockmaroon Gate
The restoration work to the gates commenced this month based on a contract of nine months after which, with all the gates then back in the possession of the Office of Public Works, a separate contractor will take responsibility for managing the rehanging of the gates back in their original locations. This contract will provide for the engagement of any specialist required to undertake any stone repair works identified as necessary at these gate locations and also for the specialist expertise to establish and operate the traffic management procedures that will be required while these works are being undertaken.
The OPW is providing Architectural (Conservation), Civil and Structural Engineering and Project Management services for this project with external architectural and quantity surveying support.
Further updates will be posted on this page and our social media pages on Facebook and Twitter.
Updated: 31 January 2020
Thursday, 7th March 2019
In preparation for the Final Mass for the World Meeting of Families 2018, a number of gates in the Phoenix Park were removed for health and safety reasons so as to ensure the safe and free movement of people and vehicles before and after the event on Sunday 26 August. As part of the project plan, for the temporary removal and reinstatement of the gates under Section 5 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, the OPW plans to undertake conservation work at the following entrances:
- North Circular Road Gate (c1906)
- Grangegorman Gate on Blackhorse Avenue (c1906)
- Cabra Gate (c1835)
- Ashtown Gate (c1835)
- Castleknock Gate (c1834)
- Chapelizod Gate (c1833)
- Islandbridge Gate (c1833)
These entrances to the Park were originally installed between 1833 and 1906. The gates were later removed and reinstalled for the Eucharistic Congress in 1932 and again in 1979 for the visit of Pope John Paul II. The gates are now in need of significant refurbishment and it is a condition of the planning consent granted by Dublin City Council for the temporary removal of the gates that, as part of the reinstatement phase, each gate and entrance will be fully conserved and restored. Conservation practice and skills have improved dramatically since the gates were last removed in 1979 and so it is timely now to undertake the appropriate refurbishment of these important historic structures.
The OPW is providing Architectural (Conservation), Civil and Structural Engineering and Project Management services for this project with external architectural and quantity surveying support. Given the unique nature of the gates, railings, piers and abutment walls, a comprehensive specification for each gate, photographic records and detailed conservation reports have been developed by conservation specialists over the last number of months.
The works to repair and reinstate the gates and entrances will be contracted through a competitive tender process in compliance will public procurement law. It is not possible at this stage to give a definitive date for the completion of this work and we ask for the public’s patience as we ensure that this important conservation project is delivered to the highest standards. Further updates will be available here and on our social media pages on Facebook and Twitter.